Category Archives: NATIONAL

Reports on political news in the country Kenya

RAILA ENDORSES IEBC EXIT DEAL

RAILA-BOSIRECORD leader Raila Odinga has endorsed the report prepared by the Joint Parliamentary Select Committee on Electoral Reforms which among others calls for the reconstitution of new Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commissioners (IEBC) by September 30.

The former Prime Minister urged President Uhuru Kenyatta to hold consultations on the new electoral officials.

This comes after the National Assembly approved a two-day extension for the Joint Select team to submit their report after meeting both President Kenyatta and the CORD leader.

National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale and his Minority counterpart Francis Nyenze further confirmed that they will submit the Joint Select Committee Report and proposed Bills during Thursday’s sitting.

The 14-member team had earlier in the day met with the leadership of the coalitions in Parliament where they briefed them on their findings of the four thematic areas that they were looking into.

The CORD leader called on President Kenyatta to whip his Jubilee Coalition MPs which enjoys majority representation in both Houses to support the adoption and implementation of the recommendations.

“It was give and take… we have conceded many issues we were insisting on for the sake of this country. All CORD members will support the report and the draft bills,” he said,

In its report, the Joint Select Committee recommended that the nine Commissioners led by Chairman Issack Hassan must exit office by September 30 to ensure the appointment of seven new commissioners in time for the 2017 General Election.

 

Advertisements

A TOUGH ROAD FOR JUBILEE IN KERICHO

PAUWhile President Uhuru Kenyatta and Deputy President William Ruto are on record stating that the new outfit wouldn’t have preferential candidates in the election, Ruto’s allay Energy Cabinet Secretary (CS) Charles Keter seems to be reading from a different script.

Speaking during a fundraising at Nyabangi primary school in Belgut constituency, Keter declared that would put the county’s leadership in order by ensuring that his former Kericho High schoolmate, Governor Paul Chepkwony is sent packing.

Keter is fronting Richard Langat, the suspended National Social Security Fund (NSSF) trustee who is currently facing Sh5.5B financial misappropriation of fund case over the Tassia II housing scheme. But in a quick rejoinder, Chepkwony welcomed Jubilee Party’s decision that the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission would conduct the party nominations reminding Keter that power rest with the people.

Keter’s remarks also appeared to rub Aaron Cheruiyot, his successor at the Senate the wrong way. Speaking during a fundraising at Kapsoit Full Gospel church, Cheruiyot who was accompanied by fellow senators Kipchumba Murkomen and Stephen Sang maintained that Jubilee Party (JP) doesn’t have a preferred candidate to wrestle the county’s leadership from governor Paul Chepkwony.

The senator pointed out that senior Jubilee leaders had stated clearly that the era when politician rode into power through political patronage had come to an end.

 

IS THERE ANY TRUTH IN THIS??

MaDVDDetails have emerged of a partially handwritten document that allegedly saw President Uhuru Kenyatta step down for Musalia Mudavadi in 2012.

The one-page agreement is said to have been signed in dramatic moments on the night of December 4.

The controversial document titled ‘The Agreement Between Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta and Wycliffe Musalia Mudavadi’ shows the two leaders had agreed that Uhuru “shall step down as the presidential candidate of the coalition” and that Mudavadi “shall be the coalition’s presidential candidate”. “These details shall be announced within 14 days from the date hereof,” the agreement read in part.

Handwritten notes at the bottom of the document said the commitments were subject to agreement on sharing of Government as defined in the coalition agreement.

The sharing was to be in the following proportions: Uhuru’s The National Alliance 45 per cent, United Republican Party 35 per cent and Mudavadi’s United Democratic Forum 20 per cent.

The document was signed by Uhuru, Mudavadi and Deputy President William Ruto, who is also the URP leader, in the presence of lawyers Desterion Oyatsi and Dan Ameyo.

Uhuru and Ruto are said to have gone to Mudavadi’s home in Nairobi’s Riverside Drive to seal the pact but immediately the news broke, Uhuru disowned the deal, saying it was the work of “dark forces”.

Based on the failure to honour the agreement, Mudavadi has refused to join forces with Uhuru and his deputy.

The former deputy prime minister has, however, made it clear that he will focus on his presidential ambitions using the Amani coalition although political players believe he is being courted by CORD.

YOUTHS SHOULD BE GIVEN MORE SLOTS IN PARTY POSITIONS

MBThe Jubilee party leadership has been urged to ensure youths get a bigger share of the party’s leadership positions by setting aside seats to be held by young people.

A Youth leader who is also the chairman of the Friends of Youth and Women organization Allan Mburu has said it is vital for the party’s leadership to provide a conducive environment for youths to vie for party positions.

He said despite the party having set aside positions for a youth and women leader at both the national and county level, there is need to have more youths occupy leadership positions for better representation.

He said that this will make it possible for young people to lead alongside seasoned politicians and acquire skills that will enable them to engage the government effectively.

He also noted that it will be difficult for youths to effectively compete with experienced politicians who are wealthy saying that the party should provide a more enabling environment for youths to clinch more seats.

The youth leader said ensuring more youths are incorporated in the leadership of the party will provide a smooth transition during elections as older politicians retire from politics.

The jubilee party is expected to hold its party elections after the national delegates’ convention that will be held on September 9.

Mburu was speaking at Kambirwa shopping centre during a meeting to educate youths and women on how to empower themselves financially by starting small entrepreneurships.

He lauded the Jubilee party for its decision to employ the services of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission during its nominations and urged young people not to shy from vying for political seats as nominations will be free and fair.

He also urged the government to speed up the recruitment of IEBC commissioners and consider youths’ women and persons with disabilities to ensure there is equity.

 

NARC-KENYA WILL CONTINUE ENJOYING ITS FREEDOM

mkNARC-KENYA Party leader Martha Karua has responded to reports claiming that a section of Jubilee leaders had called on her to join the Coalition.

The 2013 Presidential aspirant stated that she would not bow to the pressure of dissolving her party to join the Jubilee Party.

The Opposition supporter insisted that she would not be coerced into working with Jubilee, stating that any such efforts will bounce.

Karua took to Twitter saying: “I & Narc Kenya will enjoy our freedom of association which jubilants so must respect.”

Some leaders from the government’s side had asked Ms Karua and Kenya National Congress leader Peter Kenneth to disband their respective parties and merge with Jubilee.

The group from Mt Kenya region observed that the two should also drop their presidential bids to support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 Election.

President Kenyatta on Wednesday announced that 12 parties had decided to dissolve and form a formidable force which would have representation from different parts of the country.

In a press conference at State House, Kenyatta stated that the Jubilee Party would be launched in September.

 

KIDERO, I WILL VIE FOR PRESIDENCY 2022

kiderNairobi Governor Dr Evans Kidero is the new entrant to declare his desire to vie for the country’s top seat come 2022.

Expressing his surety of retaining the gubernatorial seat for the county in the next general election, the incumbent said his eyes will then be fixed on the country’s top seat.

Kidero said it is a high time Kenyans elect leaders who can change their lives and not just vote for people who have no convincing manifestos but hide behind tribal curtains.

“It is evident that many leaders want positions but unfortunately some are out just to have them for their own benefit,” said Kidero.

Kidero was speaking during the second anniversary for the table banking women empowerment in Westlands which is part of the Joyful women Group led by Rachel Ruto, wife to the Deputy President William Ruto.

Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho and his Kakamega counterpart Wycliffe Oparanya are some of the other governors from the Orange Democratic Movement(ODM) camp who have also expressed their 2022 bid for the presidential seat.

HOW IEBC COMMISSIONERS LEFT OFFICE

hassan_1Details of a series of closed-door meetings that hatched a deal for the peaceful exit of Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) officials have now been laid plain.

This comes barely two days after the commissioners expressed their readiness to go home when they appeared before Parliament’s Joint Select Committee.

It is now emerging that the poll officials held the committee at ransom and that reaching the deal involved a lot of persuasions since the parliamentary team had no tangible evidence against the electoral officials.

Co-chairs of the select team – Senators JAMES ORENGO (Siaya) and KIRAITU MURUNGI (Meru) – reportedly went beyond law and political interest in a bid to strike a deal.

According to a Member of Parliament who declined to be named, the IEBC officials left office under their own terms and not the committee’s.

He further stated that commissioners scored big time and did the select committee a huge favour by voluntarily leaving office.

Reports indicate that the Hassan-led team was secretly pushing for their exit despite maintaining a hard-line stance in public.

Apparently, the commissioners wanted to ensure that President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto were solidly behind them and that they got their entitlements if they decided to leave office.

They also reportedly wanted to leave clean meaning they did not want any criminal proceedings brought against them.

The big breakthrough came when Attorney General Githu Muigai and Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said that the government will use cash from the Contingency Fund to pay the commissioners.

It is then that they struck a deal with the very same committee they had earlier accused of undertaking an illegal process.